Who cannot have a Liver Transplant?
Even though you have a suitable match for liver transplant, there are chances you may NOT be considered for a transplant if you have a condition that can affect the chances of success. You are unlikely to be offered a liver transplant if you have:
- Severe malnutrition and muscle wasting
- Any kind of infection – we will have to wait for the infection to pass
- Any critical heart/lung condition, such as heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Any serious mental health or behavioural condition (which means there are higher chances you will fail to follow the medical recommendations after a liver transplant)
- Advanced stage of liver cancer (In cases where the cancer has spread beyond the liver into surrounding tissue and it’s too late to cure the cancer)