Cirrhosis is a liver condition caused from permanent damage or scarring of the liver. The damage can be caused by various reasons such as hepatitis, chronic alcoholism, fat accumulation, etc. This scarring blocks the flow of blood through the liver making it difficult for the liver to function.
What are the Symptoms of CLD Cirrhosis?
- Fatigue, Nausea & weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Fluid accumulation in your abdomen
- Yellow discoloration in the skin and eyes (jaundice)
- Easy bruising & bleeding
- Redness in hand palms
- Chest enlargement in men
How is Cirrhosis diagnosed?
Although early stages of liver cirrhosis are asymptomatic, if you experience any of the above symptoms, you can get your routine blood test done. Following laboratory tests can infer any problems with your liver:
- Blood Tests for hepatitis B and C
- Tests for international normalized ratio (INR) for blood clotting
- Magnetic resonance elastography or transient elastography to detect any stiffening of the liver
- MRI, CT and ultrasound of the liver
- Liver biopsy
What is the treatment?
The treatment depends on the cause and extent of damage to your liver. The sole purpose of the treatment is to slow the progression of scar tissue in the liver. Hospitalization may be required in cases of severe liver damage. For early stages, doctors try to minimize the damage by treating the responsible factors such as treatment for alcohol abuse, weight loss, medications to control hepatitis and other symptoms. However in advanced cases of cirrhosis, liver transplantation is required. Book your appointment with one of the top liver surgeons in India, Dr. Vivek Vij.