According to World Health Organization (WHO), liver diseases account for nearly 46% of global diseases with the mortality rate of approximately 59% and the worst part is that, it is very difficult to detect liver-related ailments. Now, the question arises- How can one know if he/she is suffering from any liver-afflicted illness? A simple solution to this dilemma lies in the changing color of urine and stools along with some easily identifiable symptoms.
As per Dr.Vivek Vij, an eminent liver consultant in India; orange, brown, amber or cola-colored urine and light colored stools, along with below mentioned symptoms, is a red signal for severe liver damage.
- Nausea:Continued stomach infection accompanied by frequent urge to vomit should not be taken lightly with respect to possible indication of liver disease.
- Unexplained Exhaustion:Getting tired or exhausted very often without any substantial physical or mental activity points toward malfunctioning of liver.
- Loss of Appetite: When your craving for food dies, understand that something’s wrong with your liver.
- Discoloration of Eyes: Yellowing of skin and eyes is one of the major signs of liver problem. If you notice any discoloration/yellowing in your eyes, visit a liver specialist immediately.
- Pain in upper-right portion of abdomen: Since the liver is located in this part of the abdomen, any unexplained pain in the upper-right portion of the abdomen can be a clear sign that your liver is not functioning properly.
Dark urine (orange, brown, amber or cola-colored) and light-colored stools (lighter than normal) coupled with aforementioned symptoms can lead to a range of life-threatening liver diseases such as Liver Cancer, Cirrhosis, Hepatitis (A, B, C, D & E), Bile Duct Obstruction and Alcoholic Liver Disease.
Thus, if you come across any of the above-stated symptoms accompanied by dark urine and light stools, immediately refer to a liver specialist before it gets too late.
Read More About Cost of Liver Transplant in India